The best thing I ever did.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

This is a fairly personal post, but I know that a year ago reading this on someone's blog would have given me hope or inspiration, so I wanted to share it with all of you.

Just 17 days after moving to Chicago {and exactly 1 month before my 28th birthday} I can say without any hesitation that this move is the best thing that I have ever done. I am still finding myself & have so much to figure out, but for the first time in my life I am truly happy. I love this city & cannot imagine living anywhere else.

For as long as I could remember I had this plan. I was supposed to be married by 28 and a mom by 30. It's a pretty safe bet that those things will not be happening any time soon & I am completely ok with that. Believe it or not, I am actually happy it worked out this way. I had to reach a point where nothing felt right to make this change, & had I not been unhappy with my life in LA, I would not be living in Chicago.

I questioned this move once right after I got to my apartment, and that uncertainty lasted for all of 5 minutes. The only moments that have taken place since have been ones of happiness. That's not to say that there will not be rough patches. I have to assume they'll come because it's impossible to imagine that everything can be this good. I have never felt this happy and on some level think that I don't know what to do with myself. I definitely have plans to start a new career & make my current job part time. I just have to figure out what my next step will be. There are a handful of things I would love to pursue. Until I figure that out, you can bet that I'll be enjoying my life here in Chicago.

Since I am officially training for my first 5k, I headed to the beach with a friend for a run yesterday. This was my first time visiting the beach & I absolutely loved it! When we turned around and I saw this, I had one of those amazing "I live here" moments. Such a great feeling.

Photobucket

Things definitely didn't turn out how I thought I wanted them to, but I am definitely exactly where I am supposed to be.

Where there is no struggle, there is no strength. - Oprah

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. Yay! I'm so excited for you! I, too, had a plan similar to yours...it's starting to look like that's not going to happen anytime soon. I am trying to learn how to enjoy my life as it is, while searching for what I really want to be doing and where I want to be doing it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you lady. It takes an incredible amount of strength and no doubt, a lot of courage, to make that huge move! I am so proud of you and you are encouraging more than you know. You are in my prayers and I am wishing you all the luck in the world. Many blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave girl. :) Enjoy your new life... you deserve to be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I am so happy that you LOVE Chicago! I have never been before and was obcessed after watching Guiliana and Bill {love them!} I just might have to come have lunch with you one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a calming feeling to know you are exactly where you are supposed to be! loved reading this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew the rest of the sentence before opening the post! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to you! Never been to Chicago but I love all the pix that Kelly Purkey would share on her blog! She moved from there to NY. LOVE her photos & videos =)

    http://kellypurkey.typepad.com/its_me_kp/

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome! i am so happy for you that you are loving your life in chicago:)
    smiles,
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great!! I am so glad you are loving Chicago, hopefully the winter is good to you(us) :-) weather wise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!! Running your first 5K is amazing! Find a group to run with and make sure you have good running shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely and inspiring post...thanks for sharing your journey with us! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously loved everything about this post!! And love you girl!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's such a great feeling to know that you are in the place where you are supposed to be! I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you are happier than you've ever been. Sometimes it's a big change like a move that can really make such a positive impact. Congrats on running your first 5K! I did my first one last year and it was a lot of fun being surrounded by 11,000 people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice post! Glad things are working out. I too think I have this grand plan...so far it's not going t plan. Not that this is bad, but it's life!

    Enjoy your time in Chi-town. I am training for a 5K in Boston, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so happy that you are at peace with and so happy with your choice. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to visit a friend last year who lives in Lincoln park and did a 6 mile run from her home almost to Navy pier and back to keep up with my half marathon training. The views are amazing and inspiring! I had my iphone and had to stop and take millions of pictures! I know you will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so thrilled for you! I admire your courage to move to a new city and start fresh. I think that is so amazing! I hope you make many wonderful memories in Chicago!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great post :) What a wonderful feeling to know that you are right where you need to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this. My life definitely didn't follow the plan I had either. sometimes the unexpected is the most exciting :)

    ReplyDelete

About me

Like us on Facebook

Dresses brings you the latest stylish affordable wedding dresses uk